Creatures of the Day: interactions!

This was an exciting week for development. The biggest changes is that I added support for multiple creatures and a few ways for them to interaction. Creatures can latch onto each other / the ground with suckers, and cause damage and disassemble body parts with stingers (first step towards predation).

There’s also now two introductory levels that teach the basic of how to weave and control muscles. The learning curve and UI still have a lot to be desired, but I’ll be adding more tutorials over the next few weeks.


All this led to me needing to change enough things under-the-hood (I was up til 2 last night fighting with the coordinate system for rectangles UGH) that the old saves no longer would work (and it broke some of them? oops. 😐 not unexpected though) so I’ve bumped up the version number to v0.2.

Development during a Kickstarter campaign is fun (immediate feedback by invested players!) but dang does it split my priorities. I’m so excited to be moving towards the ability to have an ecosystem of user-created creatures, though!

Gorgeous koi, twitchy frogs, and a lotta derp.

So, it’s been an exciting week! We still have a long way to go, but my spirits are buoyed by the fact that people have been making some really amazing creatures (though I think they’re *all* beautiful).

I’ll be sending out weekly digests of creatures, so if you wanna show the world what you can do, head on over to the demo and post a link or screenshot in the comments or the subreddit!


(see them at the Kickstarter update)

What’s up/next:

My first and foremost concern is to keep getting the word out on CL. If we’re gonna pull this off, it’s gonna need a big boost. There’s so much noise out there (re: world on fire) that it’s been more of an uphill struggle than it would be in less interesting times.

However! I am happy to just keep working on development and engaging with people and teaching about hella cool neuroscience! Serenity to accept that which I cannot control, etc.

I’m going to be working on adding introductory levels that guide people through the basics of creating a creature. I uploaded a skeleton version of the first level last night; you just have to weave the brain of a pre-made creature and then control it to have it reach a beacon on the map.

Once I have a bit more of a structure in place, I’m going to load up a Greenlight campaign on Steam — hopefully by the end of this week.

Oh! And I spent like five hours yesterday adding font support to the game! Totally the best use of my time.


By Wick Perry | © 2017 Wickworks
Proud to be a member of PIGsquad and Playful Oasis.