Based in Portland, Oregon
June 2, 2012
Press / Business contact:
1319 SE 36th Ave
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 953 5476
Wickworks is an indie studio based out of Oakland, CA (formerly Portland, OR) that consists of Joseph Wick Perry as its core member. It has been primarily funded via Kickstarter, with two successful campaigns since 2012. Its games are deeply skeptical of violence as a mechanic, and instead focus on how to enrichment and education.
Wickworks' two major projects have been funded on Kickstarter. Wickworks has also completed a number of smaller contractual projects (such as a soccer-themed psychology variability assessment and data collection app) and game jams.Starship Rubicon
Its first (2012), Starship Rubicon, combines modernized Asteroids mechanics with procedural generation for a short-but-deep campaign that examines the voice behind typical game objectives (e.g. "Kill 10 rats."). Wickworks partnered with Cheerful Ghost to publish the game on steam at the end of 2012.Crescent Loom
Its second (2017), Crescent Loom, is the very first biologically-realistic nervous system simulation game. Players build underwater creatures and bring them to life by weaving senses and muscles together with the unique language of neuroscience.
Crescent Loom YouTube
Starship Rubicon YouTube
There are far more images available for wickworks, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Ultimately, though, Perry’s goal is to create a toolbox for those interested in learning about the “building blocks” of neural circuits that’s accurate and friendly enough to cultivate widespread understanding of how brains work."
- Nicole Carpenter, Kill Screen
- "On the surface, Starship Rubicon looks like a basic arcade style space shooter with some roguelike elements. Underneath there are a lot of fun mechanics that will feel familiar to experienced gamers. It would be easy to simply call this game a mashup of many other titles, but that wouldn’t do justice to what Starship Rubicon delivers."
- Steven Smith, True PC Gaming
- "as a side note, your project is the kickstarter i'm most pleased to have backed. helping a person with modest goals and some ambition turn a "sure, why not" idea into a life-changing moment is the best feeling in the world and i'll keep supporting you all the way."
- Anonymous backer, Kickstarter
Progress updates & postmortems: wick.works.
Starship Rubicon -- Steam
Rubicon -- Kickstarter
The Kickstarter page for the original Rubicon: kickstarter.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Joseph 'Wick' Perry
Design, Programming, Art & Production
Publishing, Cheerful Ghost