Based in Portland, Oregon
June 2, 2012
Press / Business contact:
1319 SE 36th Ave
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 953 5476
I believe in using games (and art, for that matter) for doing good in society. To me, this means designing for accessibility, listening to and incorporating diverse voices as well as I am able, and crafting an experience that betters the player’s life.
Wickworks was started in 2012 when Joseph 'Wick' Perry ran a successful Kickstarter campaign to make a small space shooter called Rubicon. Two years later, he partnered with the local game community site Cheerful Ghost to redesign the game, give it a roguelike campaign mode, and publish it. Starship Rubicon was released on Steam at the end of 2014 and has received modest but unanimously positive reviews.Currently
Perry is now bringing his experience in neuroscience to bear in a new brain-circuits-meets-physics-sandbox creature creation game called Crescent Loom. He hopes that it will do for neuroscience what Kerbal Space Program did for orbital physics; bring the science into an interactive and accessible arena where people can play around to get an intuitive grasp of the concepts.
Crescent Loom: Kickstarter announcement YouTube
Starship Rubicon: Steam trailer YouTube
There are far more images available for wickworks, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Ultimately, though, Perry’s goal is to create a toolbox for those interested in learning about the “building blocks” of neural circuits that’s accurate and friendly enough to cultivate widespread understanding of how brains work."
- Nicole Carpenter, Kill Screen
- "On the surface, Starship Rubicon looks like a basic arcade style space shooter with some roguelike elements. Underneath there are a lot of fun mechanics that will feel familiar to experienced gamers. It would be easy to simply call this game a mashup of many other titles, but that wouldn’t do justice to what Starship Rubicon delivers."
- Steven Smith, True PC Gaming
- "as a side note, your project is the kickstarter i'm most pleased to have backed. helping a person with modest goals and some ambition turn a "sure, why not" idea into a life-changing moment is the best feeling in the world and i'll keep supporting you all the way."
- Anonymous backer, Kickstarter
Progress updates & postmortems: wick.works.
Starship Rubicon -- Steam
Rubicon -- Kickstarter
The Kickstarter page for the original Rubicon: kickstarter.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Joseph 'Wick' Perry
Design, Programming, Art & Production
Publishing, Cheerful Ghost